Sunday, March 8, 2009

"I spun out of control. Eating was hard. Breathing was hard. Living was hardest."


There are some books that I can sit down and read from beginning to end: they demand it. Wintergirls by Laurie Halse Anderson (winner of this year's Edwards Award!) was not one of those books for me. I don't know if it was the subject (a teen suffering through cutting and anorexia) or the desperate voice of Lia, the main character, but I picked it up and read only a few pages at a time for weeks before being able to actually finish it. After her friend Cassie, from whom she is estranged, dies suddenly, Lia spirals out of control and we follow her as her behavior goes from scary to downright dangerous. Working with preteens and teens daily and having two daughters who will one day become teens made this book even more distressing for me. I have read all of Anderson's other titles and I would say the voice in this is her best yet. Teens who clamor for books "about the things we are going through" will be attracted to this title. Be prepared . . . the rawness will knock you over. This book will be available on March 19, 2009.

No comments:

Post a Comment